Wednesday, December 24, 2008

i feel it in my fingers, i feel it in my toes

this holiday season everything seems to be lined up perfectly -- minus of course the small part that i'm not with my family, but chicago has made me feel more welcome than i've possibly ever felt since leaving minnesota. i was invited to more christmas celebrations than i can count or remember with everyone from two of my closest friends and roommates to a new friend to random coworkers. it is refreshing and comforting to know that i am surrounded by people who care about me and want to make sure that i am not alone for the christmas holiday centered on the birth of jesus and family.

however, i think the best part of this christmas is that i am giving back to those who can't celebrate with their families either. i volunteered to cook/serve dinner at a homeless shelter not too far from my apartment in chicago, and i haven't been this excited for christmas in a long time. for the first time in a long time, i'm giving something to those who have nothing and no one -- their situation is much more grave than mine. and i'm happy to give them a little holiday joy, something i've been blessed with my whole life. it should be fantastic. also, for the first time in my life i am cooking a turkey. a 20 pound turkey no less. this should be...entertaining. but alas, you've gotta start somewhere!

and then tomorrow i found myself torn between 2 christmas celebration the kolak and the orange. two fabulous friends who opened up their homes and families to me. i am ever greatful. i only wish i could be at both at once. but due to the fact that my holidays have never maxed more than 10 nelson-johnson relatives, i opted for the smaller, more intimate holiday where it will be a little more like home...at least on some level.

other than that things i'm greatful for this holiday season:
*family--you're my family. you put up with me. you're the best. enough said.
*my girl friends--you always are there with a good laugh or a shoulder to cry on. and you most definitely always have my back.
*a handsome physics teacher--you always make me smile, challenge me and keep me on my toes.
*northwestern university--for giving me a job and having faith in me that i will do it well.
*chicago--for being my playground, keeping me safe and making me feel right at home. i may never leave you at the rate we're going.
*minnesota--for always welcoming me back with open arms. i love returning to the place i know and love so much.
*hope college--you gave me amazing memories and friendships. i wouldn't be where i was today without you or the fabulous professors you employ
*argentina--you stole my heart, but taught me more than i ever asked for or dreamed of.

so merry christmas, happy holidays! much love to you all.

No comments: